High-capacity, portability-corrected ENUM routing database that consolidates both IP and TDM address information in a single network element to enable efficient service routing.
The current worldwide voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) penetration rate is approaching 10 percent, and it is clear that telecommunications is evolving toward all-Internet protocol (IP) networks. One of the challenges created by the IP evolution is how to route and terminate calls between the IP and circuit-switched domains, which utilize different numbering schemes, to enable seamless service delivery. Although still in relative infancy, electronic number mapping (ENUM) appears to be the solution.
Tekelec’s EAGLE® XG ENUM Server is a high-capacity, portability-corrected next-generation database (XGDB) that consolidates both VoIP and time division multiplexing (TDM) address information in a single network element to enable efficient service routing. The ENUM Server converts a ported or non-ported telephone number (TN) into a domain name, which is used to retrieve the uniform resource identifier (URI) of the carrier or network device associated with that TN. Using the ENUM Server, providers can deploy a hybrid operator/ private Tier 1 ENUM solution to route VoIP calls, short message service (SMS), multimedia message service (MMS) and future multimedia services within their own network and across other operators’ networks. The EAGLE XG ENUM Server can help peering problems for all types of operators – wireless, wireline, cable and non-facilities-based.
The application is built on a highly scalable, high-performance software and hardware architecture that delivers the transaction rates needed to drive next-generation, SIP-based networks.
- Improve service routing. With Tekelec’s EAGLE XG ENUM Server, operators can consolidate service routing information in a single, unified database which can be accessed by multiple clients over a variety of query protocols
- Simplify database provisioning. By consolidating subscriber routing information in a single location, The ENUM Server eliminates the need to manage, maintain and update multiple databases
- Increase margins. The ENUM Server enables operators to avoid unnecessary and costly IP to TDM network transitions and local termination charges for calls that originate and terminate in IP networks
- Improve QoS. The ENUM Server enables operators to deliver SMS, MMS, VoIP and new, SIP-enabled services seamlessly across multi-technology networks
- Lower operational costs. Tekelec has been providing number portability solutions to global operators for many years. Currently, more than 97 operators in over 33 countries have deployed or ordered Tekelec Number Portability (NP) applications. With this ENUM-based solution and its NP database, Tekelec is able to merge all the routing information into a single database – further reducing facility and maintenance costs