Signal Transfer Point
The industry’s leading SS7 signaling and application solution.
As competition in the telecommunication market intensifies, operators are looking for solutions that reduce operating costs and boost revenues. Whether the focus is enhanced connectivity, increased capacity, revenue-generating applications or security, creating a robust, scalable signaling system 7 (SS7) network is an essential component of any competitive strategy.
Tekelec is recognized as the industry leader in providing SS7 signaling solutions for the telecommunications industry. The EAGLE 5 Signal Transfer Point (STP) is a total signaling and service solution for mobile and fixed-line networks. It provides tremendous growth capacity and delivers cost-effective, reliable signaling and application services to help operators generate more revenue with lower operating costs.
The EAGLE 5 STP, field-proven in more than 300 networks worldwide, was designed to deliver the performance and throughput to drive the most demanding networks. The system’s high capacity and scalability enable it to grow gracefully from a single-shelf to a 2,800-link system, with future growth to 4,000 links planned. Because of its distributed processor design, the EAGLE 5 STP does not have a separate central processing unit to bottleneck traffic throughput. Support for multiple link interface types and industry standards enables flexible configuration and connection of network devices – key to cost-efficient growth and network evolution. Future link capacity growth does not impact the system’s performance.
The EAGLE 5 STP’s advanced routing functions allow operators to solve complex network routing problems. It supports sophisticated routing schemes by leveraging a variety of features, including: GSM mobile application part (MAP) screening, advanced global title translation (GTT), origin-based routing, and subscriber-based applications such as home location register (HLR) router, voicemail router and short message router. Advanced, multi-layer screening capability prevents unauthorized access to valuable network resources. The network congestion control features built into the EAGLE 5 STP guards against propagation of network problems from other networks.
The EAGLE 5 STP’s software architecture is built on telco-grade operating systems and applications that optimize performance and reliability. Application and interface cards are designed to provide plug-and-play functionality, which allows seamless growth. The system’s application and interface cards generally do not have specific shelf or frame limitations, allowing operators to fully customize and define the STP’s configuration.
- Single platform. The EAGLE 5 platforms supports key functions such as integrated monitoring, signal transfer, signaling gateway and number portability
- Scalability. Operators can purchase just the capacity and connectivity they need to meet existing network needs. As the network expands, the EAGLE 5 STP scales to deliver the processing power required to meet the demands of the largest networks
- Reliability. Field-proven 99.99999%* availability in mobile and fixed networks worldwide
Flexibility. Supports multiple link interface types and industry standards for flexible configuration and connection of network devices
- Network security. Signaling connectivity to other service providers is centralized at the EAGLE 5 STP, so gateway screening is centralized and not required at multiple switches
- Investment protection. The EAGLE 5 STP protects original investment by providing a migration path to next-gen networks. Operators can cost-effectively increase capacity, deploy enhanced services and migrate to next-generation architecture without forklift upgrades
*Reliability calculated using accepted industry methods of measuring STP population availability.