Short Message Router
Allows operators to optimize, flexibly route and filter SMS messages across multiple SMS devices in the network.
The growth in the use of short message service (SMS) is compelling mobile operators across the world to expand and optimize their SMS networks. Today, SMS is not just used by consumers, but also by governments and public institutions for emergency alerts, for product advertising, inventory updates, global positioning system (GPS) tracking of cargo, and many other uses. There is an increasing need for mobile operators to efficiently manage SMS growth in their mobile networks.
Tekelec’s EAGLE 5 Short Message Router application offers a wide range of routing and filtering capabilities on mobile-originated (MO) as well as mobile-terminated (MT) SMS. The Short Message Router offers solutions for both GSM and CDMA networks and provides a variety of applications, including:
- Multi-layer routing of MO SMS messages - SMS messages are used for wide variety for applications like advertising, voting and mass communication. The Short Message Router provides multi-layer routing of mobile-originated messages so that SMS traffic can be routed efficiently. With the advent of number portability, SMS billing has become more complex. The portability information of originating and terminating subscribers must be considered. Tekelec’s EAGLE 5 Number Portability (NP) application supports inclusion of NP information in mobile-originated messages. And, the EAGLE 5 Short Message Router can route SMS messages based on this data so that the short message service center (SMSC) or SMS Router can bill properly for the service.
- SMS Fraud check – Today’s wireless signaling network is threatened by spammers, denial of service attacks and fraudsters – all of which can impact quality of service, customer satisfaction and revenue streams. Since the SMS messages use the core signaling network, maintaining security is critical. The EAGLE 5 Short Message Router provides several mechanisms to detect, filter and block fraudulent SMS messages and prevent them from using SMS network resources.
- Separate SMS traffic on subscriber criteria – SMS traffic can be separated based on subscriber criteria like prepaid or postpaid, which can be applied to the A-and B-party of the message.
- Manage mixed CDMA and GSM technologies – The EAGLE 5 Short Message Router can quickly access subscriber data to ensure that SMS messages are delivered correctly in mixed-technology networks.
- Improves manageability to enable cost-effective and efficient network expansion
- Minimizes the need and associated costs of billing mediation
- Lowers infrastructure and operations costs by optimizing the SMS traffic at the core
- Reduces fraud in SMS networks