Number portability solutions for GSM, CDMA, fixed networks, cable as well as intra-carrier number retention.
The implementation of number portability (NP) is a regulatory-driven mandate that Tekelec can help operators meet. NP allows subscribers to retain the same dialed number (DN) when switching from one service provider to another, switching between service types or categories, or moving from one geographic region to another. The most common implementations of number portability address service provider and service type portability.
Number portability impacts nearly all services in an operator’s network. On the technical side, number portability introduces challenges in correct routing of voice calls, messaging services, and correct billing, particularly related to prepaid services. More importantly, the increase in number portability awareness has elevated expectations by consumers.
Tekelec is the market leader in number portability innovation, deploying the first integrated NP solution in 1997. Since then, Tekelec has deployed NP solutions with more than 94 operators in 32 countries and has a broad portfolio covering global solutions for GSM, CDMA, fixed networks, cable as well as intra-carrier number retention. Tekelec simplifies number portability by integrating advanced database management and signaling functions onto a single platform, providing superior throughput and avoiding link congestion and bottlenecks in the network. Tekelec also solves the NP problem for voice, short message service (SMS), multimedia message service (MMS) and prepaid calls with triggered and triggerless solutions that benefit operators and subscribers on a variety of networks.
Tekelec is the recognized leader in integrated, high-performance, NP solutions, offering:
- Flexibility – Supports either stand-alone or integrated approaches. In a stand-alone configuration, the EAGLE 5 platform is deployed as a number portability system. In an integrated configuration, the EAGLE 5 platform supports standards-compliant signal transfer point (STP) functions, NP functions and other signaling related functions. Tekelec supports both triggered and triggerless solutions for fixed-line and mobile NP
- Scalability – Supports any size network and provides fully scalable transaction rates. Capacity to scale from 850 to 150,000 transactions per second (TPS) with connectivity for 2 to 2800 links, one million global title translation (GTT) entries, 120 million NP subscriber records (ITU markets), and 384 million Local Number Portability (LNP) records for North America
- Cost effectiveness – Integrated STP/NP configuration of the EAGLE 5 platform eliminates CAPEX and OPEX associated with external SCPs – by saving on external links (to SCPs) and having fewer network elements to maintain
- Triggerless Number Portability - Minimizes the need for new switch triggers while supporting fixed- line and mobile NP
- High performance – Supports up to 640,000 message signaling units (MSUs) per second
- Carrier-grade reliability – Eliminates unnecessary external network connections and signaling hops. Signaling traffic routing is simplified, thereby reducing network failures and improving network reliability